Monday, November 24, 2008

My 3 hours a day with Alex and my 3 hours a day with the girl Alex don't seem nearly enough, but I'm trying to squeeze more out of them. I've been lucky enough the last couple sessions to see some huge milestones. I'm starting to get into a groove of balancing novel things with things he just wants to do , because they are fun (like painting). The last few projects have been boards to teach numbers, a few simple combinations of 2 or 3 letters and another stab at some social communication.

Friday I had some time and I tried the suggestion of doing the 2 and 3 letter words. It went far better than I had anticipated. This software is amazing and he is obviously aslo. I watch him work with things and tweak things on the fly with him. He's really patient sometimes, while at other times, he can get a little 'ornry. But when he laughs and gets super happy, it is incredibly satisfying.

He is spelling words. And he knows what he's doing. Sometimes I have to explain or show things several times, but others he gets right off the bat. It's a little weird, because for the most part if he figures something out on his own, he can do it again every time; however some things no matter how many times I model it or explain it, he still chooses a different way.

Chelsea is doing a really great job taking notes on everything and definitely adds to the life of the room and the ideas for boards. Sometimes I'm sure I can get a little bit stale even for my son. Yeah... I know, I probably should stop using that one. I love him like crazy though. Today he spelled his name. I know. He's done it before in class and with previous interns, I'm pretty positive, but this time he picked each letter on the computer, heard the computer spell it and then say it, and then he clicked on the button to print it. He went nuts. Big smiles, his signature joy scream, head shakes, and kicks. We held the paper out in front of him for awhile and just watched till his explosion was completed going crazy along with him. When I'm watching him spell a word sometimes it's like a football game or whatever sport you like. You watch with building intensity as he moves from one correct move to another, cringe for a moment as he makes a false move but are reassured as he corrects himself, and then it just builds... and... builds... until... it's... a... (he's on the 40) a... (the 30) A... (the 20) A... (he could- *everyone is out of their seats now talking like the players can hear them, "come, you got this"* Yes?????)
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
TOUCHDOWN!!!!!!

Yeah. That's what it's like.

I'm really excited about getting his social communication stuff going. Today we taught him to ask, "how are you doing?" and "what did you do today?" in Romanian. Also to say that he went to various places that are just for fun at this point (a party, swimming, school, to his room, and to the cafeteria) and how it was, (Fun, boring, good, bad). We'll get more complex later, but it was awesome to see him getting to see when he saw what he could do with these. Also he could say how he was feeling, just happy sad and upset at this point.

Last week, I got to feed him alot. It's really a bonding time for us. I see him struggle really hard to get his food down and keep it in his mouth sometimes and he sees me struggling to feed him the right way. Every once in awhile he'll look up and to the left all sinister at a fire extinguisher hanging on the wall behind him. I'll put the food down for a moment and sneak up to it like I'm going to pet a tiger. I slowly reach my hand up to it and then when I touch it... I scream and go into convulsions like I just got electricuted. We both laugh hysterically, and sometimes he spits a filler substance (rice/mashed potatoes/cornmeal) pureed with a meat of some sort (snitzel, mici, or meatloaf)

Today, I also got to change his clothes and get him ready for bed. This is a part of their daily routine that the interns usually do not see, because we're gone an hour beforehand. I can't really say exactly how it felt, but it did make me even more anxious to somehow continue to be a part of his life. One of those times where I get one more glimpse into his real life. I sometimes picture in my mind, if the president of Romania could see how much I love him and he loves me, and he heard the eye witness testimonies of the workers and psychologists and Mario, and past interns, and Dr. Ciobano... he'd have to let me take care of him. I would do it and live in Romania too, because Alex is pretty bad at english. I suppose it's like a 5 year old asking for a puppy. But I mean Jesus said... this right? And sometimes I think I'm different. I'm not just holding the babies (though that is an eye opening and heart capturing experience as well). I'm not just another person passing through to him or at least I'd like to think so. This is gonna hurt like crazy.

Ohh Rob-Rob (I'm still trying not to hear that as eye-rollingly condescending)...


1 comment:

Chris said...

I love this entry, my favorite parts are you being electrocuted by the fire extinguisher, (I remember that chortle of Alex's so well, his shrieking delight, I remember writing in my journal that I would do almost anything to make the kids laugh.) and the last paragraph. You write beautifully. It's like a prayer, look what he means to me, look at all I've been through with him and the miracles we see every day with him, please let me have a way to keep him forever. I wish and I hope that somehow you will be able to. I love Alex and I love you for loving him so much.
the word verification is exedho. that's a skank with a headache. Cha! (like excedrin)