Wednesday, April 8, 2009

My New Job

Today was my second day at house of hope. I'm really starting to love this place. House of Hope is a drug addiction treatment center for women and their children. I work in the preschool and work on developmental goals and behavior issues with the children.

I'm still in the n00b phase where I'm not really sure what I'm doing. I know I have to learn the goals of each child and start finding creative ways to help some of them develop more prosocial behaviors. I don't even really understand what meth does to kids yet. I can already see that some of the effects are probably almost no boundaries, as one child who came in yesterday acts out about just every chance she can get. It's interesting to watch what happens. It's too fast for me to make meaningful decisions about at this point. It's weird, because the first reaction and most of the time only reaction people have are for the peace to return to the system; to pacify them. I realize this is thing that needs to be done many times, but I also have a sinking feeling about that notion. It seems that the things which are resisted most frequently are the very things that the kids need help with. It takes several observations to take in and quick analysis is crucial to meaningful discipline. It makes me wonder what kind of parent I will be. It is very easy to slip into selfish responses to preserve a quiet peace that serves me. Babies perplex me more than anything. It is apparent that there are instinctual responses to their cries and I should know something about what is more appropriate than the next thing, but I'm just as vulnerable to just want the crying to stop. That's enough about that stuff.

It's interesting, because it's a lot more like section 2 than I thought it would be. There's a director who rarely shows his face, but is an awesome guy and various therapists and a psychologist who is over us workers. She's kind of a guru on child development and way cool just like Teo. There's a worker who comes in on most days who prides herself in being mean, because she sees results.

The kids are so fun when it is time to have fun. Today we played with boxes and the kids all took turns being trapped in one box two at a time. It was only me dropping a box around them and making sound effects and evil laughter, but they loved it, and so did I. We also played what time is it Mr. Wolf? I'll explain it if you ask me, but it ends with the wolf saying, "Lunch Time!!!" and running frantically after everyone else. We also played with a parachute, which is always a good time.

Today I felt so happy as I left, because I had a million (well more like 10) little kids saying, "Bye Robby!" one at a time. I'm starting to get to know all of their personalities a little better and they're so fun. It just made me feel appreciated. That's an amazing feeling to me. Anyway, I'm excited for more fun and more work with them.

2 comments:

Rach said...

Robby! I'm excited for you--the new job sounds perfect for you. I'm sure you are so great!

Kim said...

Hey Robby! That sounds like an awesome (but REALLY hard) job. I love the hard kids, but it's definitely draining. :) Hope all is going well. Kimchi