Friday, June 1, 2012

Day 1


So today was a holiday called children's day and I came and surprised Alex. He was super happy and so was I. It was immediately like I hadn't left. The kids did a program that was super cute and my little girl Larisa sang the whole time. She was is a kid I spent a lot of time with in the hospital the first time I was here and I have known her since she was 4. She will be transferred out of the orphanage sometime in the next couple months to a place for older children. I watched her like I imagine a proud parent does. She looks healthy and happy.

I brought the tablet out and started using it with Alex, but there were some problems that took some time to fix and I'm on a pretty nasty sleeping schedule right now, so I couldn't stay as long as I wanted to. Also I need to make some boards that might take awhile. I explained that this computer was different and was for speaking only. It is a computer he can use to speak in the room and outside and anywhere. I think he understood. I'm going to try to take pictures of the staff and other objects in the room. Figure out some of his needs.

I'm thinking maybe of getting a bell like on breaking bad haha. If it's good enough for a former drug lord, it's good enough for the boy. Maybe have him use headphones for practicing math during the day and use the bell to have the workers change it to the speakers. Or use it for other things like low tech eye gaze step scanning.

He's in a room full of 2 year olds. 2 year olds like to grab stuff and stick it in their mouths. This might not work as well as I thought. Wish I would have been able to find some kind of otterbox for this thing.

So since I started writing this, I've broken the boardmaker installation by doing an update (an easy fix, I just happened to leave the cd at the girls' apartment) and realized I may need some help with fabricating some electronic stuff. This is the idea I guess. It's something I can use to activate/deactivate the cross scanner software. Not necessarily a necessity right now, but something that will make things better in the future. Until then I'm going to need a cheap usb keyboard and I think I know where to go for that here. 

Sleeping pattern is pretty screwed up. Have I written that in this post already?

I was just thinking about the first time I came back and had Andrew with me. And Holly. I over complicated things and got bogged down in academic theory. Andrew was able to make things happen much easier, because he concentrated more on people and the human aspect of the project. It lightened things up and balanced much of my frantic fumbling for answers to problems. I've kind of instantly also realized how I could have prepared for this trip better had I known what I'm trying to do now. It's gonna work, I just wish I had a better grip on hacking small electronics.

Update: I also just found a decent Romanian on screen keyboard with predictive text. Which is something I've been trying to figure out how to do within boardmaker for awhile.

No comments: