Monday, September 22, 2008

Homey take 6 and take this, Haters!

I don't have a lot to write. Life has been great here. Alex is not as good with this new technology as I thought he would be. It's probably a little more accurate than the bulky headpointer was though. If the Eagle Eyes guys can spend 10 years in a lab, I'm OK with a few false starts right? When he gets Eagle Eyes, things are going to change for him significantly, so I'm kind of just seeing this as a temporary preparatory period anyways. Once again, I am the Elias. Holler if you hear me. Soon one will come whose shoes latchet I could probably not even figure out how to unloose. And last time I was here, I guess I just led him down a fishy alley with a hopeful smile.

Sera, the physical therapist in essence, gave me the typical Italian phrase, "It is not possible." That was only mildly and temporarily disconcerting and just fueled my voracity, tweaking things for the next couple hours. I'm kind of better at the dream than the game plan, so it becomes a mysterious fumbling in the dark for awhile until I can get things going the right way. This stuff is kind of like the movie Armageddon. You spend time devising a plan that seems perfect. Land on the effin' asteroid and you realize that the ground is harder than you built your drills for and you have to improvise. Last time I only had 3 weeks. This time we play on my terms (or something equally dramatic).

This is another day, same post. Today Christmas came early and I purchased a better web cam. Sharper images and faster transfer speeds mean better and more accurate tracking. I tried it out. It worked amazing for me. Alex is going to need some strengthening, but the big buttons he can push easily. He can even play Simon with some help. It was a huge relief. I spoke with Teo afterward about how she thought things went. I was hoping she was more hopeful than Sera. She gave me an excited, "Of course! We start tomorrow on the boards." I walked home with a renewed energy and pwned a langosi. I started scheming about what might happen if we can't get the software.

A few highlights from the testing process: Teo and I watched him spell out Teo's name and cheered. It took awhile, but his happiness was so apparent when we were done, it was magical. Can't make this sound not sappy, but I'm so proud of him. He did the basic greetings and feelings with ease. He even got 3 or 4 simon sequences (color sound memory game) and we went crazy.

When I feel down out here I can always look back on hearing what Teo said right after returning to his room when we were finished, "He is SO happy right now!" That's mostly for me. Kinda like how I save voice mails and texts from my nieces and all the other people I love.

I love this kid!
More Agape coming your way.

2 comments:

Chris said...

SHOUTOUTS GALORE!!! WHOO-HOO!!!! I could feel your triumph when I read this!! Robby that's so exciting for you and for Alex! Bless you for not giving up! I think this is why you got your pillar of yes. So so so glad things are working out with the technology that I understand not at all but nevertheless appreciate very much. He deserves the best...I guess that's you. HAHA the firs time I typed that I wrote "beast." What do you think that means??
hit me back just to chat truly yours your biggest fan...

Chris said...

Oh, and also...I loved what you said about being Elias. Poderoso.