Friday, December 26, 2008

Reading on the Bus

After purchasing gifts for some members of my family and riding the bus from Northgate back to Westlake, I saw a poem. It was printed and posted as part of a literacy program on the public transportation.

A dream that really really happened,
And the mother and father didn't know.
And they loved their little little girls,
and they wanted to see the dream,
but they didn't see it,
because it already happened.
And they were poor.


I hastily raced my dying phone battery to enter it into my notepad, because I wanted it to go with me. I'm not really sure why it was important to me. Also it said it was written by a 3 year old. The message of class divides wasn't the real meaning I got from it. I was more concerned with who the girls were and what the dream was. Were they the dream? Were they poor because they didn't see the dream? What does poor mean?

1 comment: