Tuesday, October 21, 2008

For My Fridge Y'ALL!

This is a picture Alex drew for me today all by himself with Eagle Eyes Paint. We killed some Aliens for a little bit, but it was too easy for him. Really. There's these aliens that pop up and you kill them by just moving the cursor which is actually a crosshair on the game and it tells you how many you get and how quickly. The only time it didn't work is when he swung his head so wildly that the tracker that recognizes the inside of his eyebrow shifted to his ear or a stationary part of his wheelchair. I call it muci (boogers, as in aveti muci in ceai?), because it is a green box that goes somewhere on his head in the camera monitor. I hope that my description of the technology is sufficient. If you have questions leave comments?

I also got to hang a picture of us that we printed out by his bed. Teo took the picture we promise, there's no need to involve child protection services, I swear.

I went home so happy today. I felt so much love for Alex. I can't really write it right. So I won't. But it's there.

Went to the hospital and played with Alexandra. This time I pretended to swallow and spit back up every single object in or around her bed. She laughed hysterically each time. I thought it would get old, but that's 4/5 year olds right? She's a little stinker though. She went poop (sorry those who are deeply offended by this word) in her diaper and I had a nurse come help me change it, because it was way complicated with her cast on. During the changing process she started pooping again and laughing. And I was like "Hmmmm who does this remind me of...?"

I also had a pleasant surprise. I was leaving Alexandra's room to go to the store downstairs for some things and who should I hear calling me from behind but Florin! He was back in the Hospital since the day before. We obviously went down to eat pizza and beg for free stuff. We sat down and talked a little bit and then he sat down by two young men whom he seemed to know. I just kind of sat there dumb, but every once in awhile I reminded him we had to go back upstairs.

I was supposed to leave early to chaperone one of the girls home and I didn't have much time with Alexandra. I went back up and played with her for another 15 minutes or so then headed down to meet the girls. There are two probably about 10 year old boys on the 3rd floor which I passed each time a trip was mentioned in this narrative. They clinged to me and asked me where the girls were every time. It's more than a crush for them. But when you ask me the same questions over and over, it's more than annoying for me when I'm running out of time. The girl found someone else to go home with early so she could talk to her boyfriend and so I went back up to the 5th; I still had another 20-30 minutes or so. We played with one of those 3 lei mingea's and she kept asking me to wash it. I did once and then I realized it was a game so I pretended to eat it to change the subject.

Then the nurse came in. It was time for her to go get her cast off. The nurse brushed her hair with a comb gently and put a clip in her hair. The nurses on this floor were super 1337 and so it's really fun to be on this floor, because they are cooperative and friendly and incredibly kind to the children. I watched them take her out on a stretcher. The whole time she was asking the endless (And if you can picture the cutest little kid voice I've ever heard perfectly calm without crying or complaining, just questions that rise in tone at the end of every sentence), "Are you leaving? *The nurse answers that we are leaving* Where are we going? *The nurse answers, "down stairs"* Downstairs? *Yes to take off your cast* To take off my cast? *Yes* Where is that? *Downstairs* Where are you going? Why? Why? Hey what are you doing? Why? Why? Are we leaving?, etc." I finally had to say bye and she smiled and said bye. It was kind of like a resolution of the time I was like "Ho doctors better have my cast!" last time I was here.

We went out for Pizza tonight. Rhett, Michelle X 2, Chelsea, Alexis, Mary, and Rosi, and Monica (Mihai's sis). It was fun.

I found out later tonight that the software we've been waiting for was sent and delivered and is going to be coming with Ashley this weekend. This kind of struck a chord of resolution for me. I don't mean to dis these phrases, but I don't want to use them, because they make me feel like I'm in a seminary video, but they describe the situation a little: tender mercies, overwhelming feeling of gratitude, wave of comfort, o caldura in inima mea (the default phrase for whenever the missionaries asked me how I felt about something and I didn't know what to say "a warmth in my heart"). Maybe I didn't have as many as I thought. I felt sick with gratitude. Now I'm just getting sloppy tired.

I'm feeling a little 2 Nephi 33:6.

1 comment:

Chris said...

Art for your fridge!!! Looks like you really did make it from a gangster to a fatherly role. It is so sweet to read about Alex and Alexandra, I wonder how many others there have been in their lives who appreciate them and celebrate them as much as you do. It's got to mean something. You are laying up mad treasure in heaven. Doesn't it feel so good walking home after a perfect day of playing with children? There is almost no better feeling than that. And yay for the good news about the software! It's okay to feel like you're in a seminary video every once in awhile. I mean, it can't be BET every minute of your life Robby.