Wednesday, October 15, 2008

The Words You Scribbled On The Wall, With The Loss of Friends You Didn't Have

I got tagged to do an internet survey-esque blog post. I haven't written anything substantial in a couple days and I'm down with the sickness at home so...

7 TV shows I like to watch:

1. Arrested Development. Me and people that don't think this show is funny tend to disagree on most other essential parts of life. There's always an applicable place to quote it. Pacing and interlocking stories is amazing. It's the first place I ever heard of a Spanish Novela. "What do you know about... Hermano?"
Also it pokes fun at your racist grandmother, your Uncle Bradford (or some other family member with the last name Bradford), ignorantly frivolous activism, mental health professionals, lawyers, the world's ridicule of family values, parental pressure to succeed, triangulation, the sick role, the conflict in Iraq, business meetings, prison, and the blue man group among other things. I could probably devote an entire blog to my love for this show...

2. The Office. Haven't gotten past season 2 and I catch glimpses of current episodes, well last year I did. I suppose I'm not a true fan per se, but I do think it's really funny and the romance thing was pretty well orchestrated. I just sometimes want to puke all over myself when Michael opens his mouth and that can make things difficult, but some lines are golden: "Fool me once, shame on me... Fool me twice, strike three."

3. House. It got a little formulaic for me, but I love the "I just don't give a F-" ness of his character. I liked the way they portrayed him as vulnerable, but before you could feel sorry for him he was too much of a douche. It made for a very dynamic character. I love the other doctors as well. Almost always very clever and the mystery got solved in a way that made you go OoOOooOooo. I sometimes wished House was in Buc with us when Dr. Brady left, but he probably would have made everybody want to punch him by the end.

4.  Quantum Leap?

5. Venture Brothers. Also very clever.

6. Robot Chicken (I know... but when you see the thundercats living in a trailer park, Optimus Prime giving public sevice announcements about prostate exams, and VH1's behind the music sadly explaining why they had to put animal from the muppets to sleep, you can't look away...)

7. Teenage Mutant Mormon Mermaids. Ask Rhett.

7 Things I did yesterday:

1. I went to the hospital early to catch Florin before he left. I gave him a laminated picture of us which is on the post here. It was really cool. And pretty sad, because I don't know if I'll see him again and it was like one of those times where you wonder if the afterlife is just something people have made up so they don't have to deal with meeting people and leaving them. But then I remembered that I surrendered to the spirit.

2. I went and paid bills with Mario. I love Mario. There was this one moment where she was telling me something important about the group right before we went inside to pay a bill and then I couldn't respond, because we were being quiet and then we walked out of the place and for like 10 minutes it was silent and I was like, I've been quiet, because I've been trying to remember what we were talking about and she was like me too I can't remember! Then we went to the post office and picked up 4 packages for the girls. Merry Christmas! We hurried so she could get to the church for Sfanta Parascheva.

3. I found out one of the Mickey rooms has Scabes. Including Alex. Mega-bummer.

4. I played in Mickey Mouse and got to sit with Irina out of her chair for awhile. She's way big now. I wasn't sure if she got excited and happy about my singing or if she was just wishing she had the motor capabilities to get away from it, but I think she had a good time.

4. I bought lamb and it was totally worth the smoke in my face.

5. Went to the hospital and one of the kids got in trouble, because he got on the lift without me. I taught a romanian guy 7 ways to say drink. He taught me a couple ways to say climb. I tried to figure out what he meant by kind of like a tree, but not when referring to a pillar. I schooled some fools at macaua.

6. I felt awesomeness effulgent.

7. I went to a concert and saw this guy and it was pretty funny. Just pretend when he says Bulgaria, he really said Romania and simplify the stage and take out the back up dancers, and you got my experience.

1 comment:

Chris said...

Best line: "Arrested Development. Me and people that don't think this show is funny tend to disagree on most other essential parts of life."

Ha! Isn't it fun filling out the 7 things that happened yesterday when you are doing service in another country? It sounds so much better than "went to class. got a jamba juice." hahaha

great job, i will tag you again (first! Still bros!) when I get another one. also you have to tell me about teenage mutant mormon mermaids. If it's a real show I kind of want to be on it.