Thursday, October 9, 2008

I Believe in Your Victory

Today I showed up tired and went to isolation. Rachel has the scabes and Katie is in Vienna de-coagulating. There is one girl that I love to see when I go in there especially. She smiles and melts me everytime. I wish I could post pictures. I just played with her for about 20 minutes or so and then hobbled into the main isolation room and started playing with another kid that I don't know. He was autistic and I just echoed the things that he was doing he smiled and we had fun.

Then enter Sera, while I continue to play with this kid. First commenting on my beard, then waiting a little bit watching me play with this kid. I'm like brother better watch himself. Then he's talking with one of the other workers and then he asks me if I'm mormon. And I was like, "No, I'm Robby. Nice to meet you though." Then he started asking me about various points of doctrine. Whether I believed Jesus would return to a holy land in America. And I'm like there's actually 3 places he's coming, but ya know whatever. He was not listening; he came to me to teach not to be taught. There's a difference between curiosity and logical manipulation through questions or the socratic method or like just generally being a jerk. He could use a little more teaching experience. If he was my greenie, I would have made him shine my shoes and go tracting in the white neighborhoods. Then he went on to ridicule several other points of doctrine and I was like, "Dude what is your point right now? What are you trying to say? You seem upset. Or at least very passionate about something. Can we talk about this later, like maybe outside of work?" And he was like, "I care about your soul." And I was just thinking, if you care about my soul you'll stfu and stop trying to attack my core belief system. I know that we all need a personal relationship with Jesus Christ. I believe in the bible. I have first hand experience with feeling the love and forgiveness of Jesus Christ, so it was just like listening to my mom nagging me to do my homework. Then Mario came in while he was still going and I was like, "Thanks Mario, this guy keeps trying to convert me to pentacostalism." This man doesn't seem to believe what is being taught. That's how I be receiving your teachings, Mr. Sera. Not professional. You don't see me in the mickey mouse room busting out like,

"Listen Larisa, most people believe in a supreme being even though they may call Him by different names. We know that God lives and we want to share with you our feelings about Him. God is perfect. He is all wise and all powerful. He is also merciful kind and just. We know that we can have faith in Him. We can love Him with all our hearts."

And boy he got his mission accomplished, because I was just thinking, like I don't know how y'all do it Romania, but where I reside you can get canned for pulling that kind of stuff at work. But you know some people have calls and I'm pretty sure his was to tell me to shave on my way to hell.

But yeah I'll need to repent for being angry at him pretty soon and maybe something good will happen if I keep my head up or whatever. I realize in conversations I have trivialized my beliefs in some ways for humor's sake and to deflect criticism, but I'm going to say this once. The things I believe are true and very dear to me. Lifesaving in fact. And I don't enjoy defending the truth when I don't have to. That's something I work through. Leave it alone. We all die. And truth will swallow all of us, whether we hang by the tonsils kicking and screaming or dive headfirst down the esophagus. Anyways part of this is the self preserving Dinosaur brain that we all switch on every once in awhile.

I'd rather talk about Alex though. Today I tried out some boards with him that I've been working on to teach weather and time. Mario watched us work and she seemed very impressed with Alex and his ability. I had been worried about whether I made a mistake and he should just use a switch, but I also have prayed about it and it seems like this solution is better for now. I was surprised by how accurate his head motions were this time. He also answered more complex questions instead of just pointing where I wanted him to. It was so fun to watch him get the right answers. I'd ask him stuff like what goes on your head? And he would point to the hat. What do you wear when it's a little cold outside and he'd point to the jacket. Then we did this thing where he can make little sentences with symbols and then spell them out. He made this really long thing that didn't make sense but we just started laughing when the computer started saying it. Something like Robby joaca Alex Puzzle Alex Puzzle Puzzle peste Afara Camera Lumina or Robby plays alex puzzle Alex puzzle puzzle fish, outside, light room. Then he found a way to print what he wrote by putting the cursor over a certain button. We watched it print and I was like, "Dude what did you do? Look what you did!" And then when I pulled it out and read it for him and he recognized it he just started going crazy with laughter and happy. It was like probably the most I've seen him ever get excited. I just started laughing and cheering and yelling bravo look what you did. Cristina, one of the psychologists came in and we showed it to her and she started laughing a little too. Everyone is amazed by what he can do. Viorica, one of the workers who has been known to be pretty rough with the kids, came in and watched him do it. She was like, "How is he doing that? How does it work?" And I explained and showed her how he could get around all these boards. She was surprised and started asking him questions too and she saw him answer them as well. As I've written in a paper I'll probably post on here in a little bit, part of the purpose of my work with him is to open the eyes of those around him to his capabilities. Today has given me a little more motivation to continue working on this project. It made me so incredibly happy. I love him so much. And it made me feel clean and beautiful, as I have heard the terms used.






No comments: